Sunday, July 10, 2011

Carbon footprint

To support the fast paced life of the American teenager is a tricky business in the way that schedules are hard to keep up with. My father, Fred Barch, is the principal of one of the only green schools in south Florida, Pine jog elementary. He made”Time” and “Newsweek” Magazine with his efforts in reducing the schools ecological footprint. Solar panels on the roof of the school provide enough energy to power the school.  Acres and acres of hydroponic gardens, which the kids themselves plant and are grown organically. The cafeteria uses vegetables grown for making school lunches. With all this impact of my father’s school i thought my score would be amazing on this “Carbon footprint quiz”. It turns out I use way more resources then I thought I did. I use 5.2 planet earths, which makes my carbon footprint pretty deep. A carbon footprint by definition is standard measurement of a unit’s influence on its habitat based on consumption and pollution. It compares human demand with planet Earth's ecological capacity to regenerate. I use 23 global acres (23.5 tons of carbon dioxide) A global acre is the unit we use to measure the productivity of an average acre of land. One of the biggest reasons why I take up so much energy and resource is because I constantly eat out. When I am on the road and in a hurry to be somewhere I stop to get food that is quick and fills me up. I never once considered to do this until I took this survey and realized how much processed meats and foods that originate from foreign countries. Another reason my carbon footprint is so big is because my house is very large and requires lots of energy to provide air conditioning and uses a lot of energy to light the house. As we did with my old house we will soon be getting a solar panel built into our roof. I can reduce my carbon footprint by packing more lunches from home, if I do this I can but my meat from a local place and have it ready to go in a lunch box when I want it, not to mention saves me money and gas.

1 comment: